Looking for a healthy living cheat sheet? Our resident health expert serves up her 20 health and nutrition tips that everyone should know. Enjoy!
1. Non-fat or “skim milk” has a surprisingly high amount of sugar. Most brands have about 12 grams per cup – this is almost half the amount of total sugar that is recommended you ingest each day!
2. When you eat protein, you lose 20-30% of those calories to digestion. This means if you eat 100 calories of protein, you only absorb about 70 of those calories.
3. Wheat raises your blood sugar higher and faster than any other carbohydrate including table sugar.
4. Matcha is an excellent source of antioxidants, or “polyphenols,” which protect the body from harmful free-radicals and cellular damage.
5. Cold pressed juice is considered to be more nutrient dense compared to traditional centrifuged juice. This is because centrifugal juicers generate heat which can destroy enzymes, and also force in air which can compromise nutrients.
6. Cooking tomatoes drastically increases its lycopene content. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that decreases risk of heart disease and cancer.
7. Cheeses with the lowest amount of lactose are those that have aged the longest. The lower the lactose, the lower the chance of stomach upset from intolerance to lactose.
8. Fiber slows down digestion and makes you feel fuller longer. Healthy adults should aim or 25 grams of fiber per day.
9. Tuna is an excellent source of Vitamin B12, selenium, Vitamin B3 (niacin), and protein – about 20 grams of protein per 3 oz serving.